09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Friday 17 May 2013

The Making of a Polka Dot Dress - Days 4 & 5


Here you can see the silk tent is almost finished. Well, the bodice and skirt are attached, at least, allowing me to hang it off my shoulders for the photo above. But the back is very much still a work in progress that leaves my rear completely exposed, he, he.

So far, not so bad. I am pretty pleased with the bodice as a whole, although, as you can see from the picture, the gathers at the front have managed to come undone and need securing. I think this should be fine to do once the lining of the bodice has been sewn to the skirt, as there will be less pressure on those gathering threads then.

Hopefully, once I finish the back with a zip, and fix the gathers around the bust, the whole thing will look less droopy, and the overall look less tent like and more gracefully blooming like Kate Middleton. I can but dream! Mum mentioned she had spotted pictures of her sporting polka dots with a jaunty hat for a wedding, so I am clearly onto a trend - albeit in an entirely accidental way.

I've got an evening babysitting round a friend's tonight. Fingers crossed for the combination of sleeping children and me having enough energy to sit and sew the last bits up and have a finished dress to show off by tomorrow.

I am not going hat shopping until this is done and I have a wearable dress. Wish me luck!




1 comment:

  1. Well done, I don't know how you have the energy to do what you do. I am in awe!!.Oh, by the way I went to the new Fabric shop in Bedford, its looks promising. All we need in Bedford now is a decent Wool shop Look forward to finished Dress.
    Stella Wycherley

    ReplyDelete