09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Thursday 6 March 2014

My First Coco


I really should be doing housework.

But, I could not wait a second longer to share my latest make.


Ta-dah!

I'll keep this post short and to the point. It is an instant `I like this dress a lot' hit for me. I feel good wearing it - and, after a long deliberation over which colour tights to wear with it (which nearly made us all late for school), I have worn it out in public less than twelve hours after finishing it.

The pattern is Tilly's Coco. If you have been living on the moon or not looked at any sewing blogs recently, you may not have picked up on it yet. But go and order yourself one right now, you hear me? Despite being made in the dreaded jersey, this dress was a dream to sew.  I managed the entire cutting out and sewing process in an evening, and that was with a deliberate take it slow and careful approach so as not to muck up this make. I used my ordinary machine, switching between a ball point needle for the seams and a twin needle for all the top stitching. Tilly's instructions are so clear that even a beginner could take the plunge into DIY clothing and come out with a good result. Plus, there are plenty of extra tips on her blog.

So, what did I enjoy most? Probably making a funnel neckline and the twin stitching turning out to be easier than anticipated. (I'll be honest and tell you that I wasn't entirely sure what a funnel neckline was until opening up the pattern, but now that I've got one, by golly I quite like it.)

As for the wearing, well, dilemma over tights aside, it is fast to slip on and get out of the house in the morning, and, it is the most comfortable dress I've come across. Perfect for chasing around after four children, then. And, as I have just had loads of compliments from my other mummy mates on the school run, I think I will be a bit braver over my clothes from now on. With red lippy, too (get me, eh?). I'll wear a bit more of my home made wardrobe on a day to day basis, instead of my jeans and t shirt uniform, and keeping the nice stuff for best.

Talking of which, I have just looked down and noticed a smear of something (snot?) on my cuff, that a small child has kindly left me as a parting gift, lest I get carried away in my funky new dress and forget who I really am. Just as well I have a couple more versions planned, then, ready for when this one goes in the wash (a smear of something doesn't warrant a wash yet, in case you were wondering).

As for my plans for the stripy one. Well now. Thanks so much for all the comments. I took them all on board, and sat down to order the fabric, only to discover both the favourites (A and C) had sold out! I guess I should have figured that might happen the week after Tilly recommended some places to buy some good quality jersey. D'oh. Still, on the bright side, I have gone for Something Completely Different instead. The stuff of fabric dreams, I tell you. More of that another time.

Have any of you made a Coco yet, or have one planned for this weekend's sewing? I'd love to hear from you if so.



The winners of my Fondant Fancy Kits are Sarah Stephenson, who said she loved the measuring tape fabric, and (I thought I'd go for two in the end) Gemma, who said she liked Fabric A the best. Ladies, please email me your details, and I will post your goodies out to you.


Now, where's that hoover?

[Update - I forgot to include the details of the fabric on the original post, and a number of people have asked about it. I bought mine from TissuFabrics - and it was a bargain at £3.99 per metre. I have also hacked back the sleeves to 3/4 length (as per the pattern, I realise!) and put cuffs back on them, and like the dress even more now.]

12 comments:

  1. The sewing B was all about stretchy fabrics this week - did you pick up some tips? I think you should make some leggins next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did - I used the tip about the waistband elastic (dividing it into quarters when pinning) and applied it to fitting the funnel neck evenly. I was toying with some leggings, actually (not least because mine are getting holes!)

      Delete
  2. Hey I love your dress!! I can see why you want to make more versions, a definite hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. The fabric for Coco#2 is in the machine now... if the troops allow it, I may manage to get some cutting out done this afternoon. Have a lovely weekend with your gang. X

      Delete
  3. Oooohhhh I won, how exciting :-) Totally cheered my day up.

    Yay, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huhh! There's funny AND fashion here. Like it! I had the same thought putting on my newly-purchased (charity shop bargain of the century!), newly-dry cleaned Urban Outfitters coat and realised it's ALREADY covered in snot(not mine may I add) Luverly!
    Your Coco is scrumptious! Great work and YES YOU MUST WEAR YOUR MAKES OUT ;OD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get myself to the same charity shops as you, by the sound of it. I'm rarely that lucky at swooping up something fabulous. The joys of children and the stains they inflict on our clothes, eh?

      Delete
  5. I love it, but Im having dreadful trouble sourcing any suitable fabric at £10 m or less...sent for samples from Cloth House and they're t shirt weight when I asked for medium weight! Thank you for the inspiration Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. My polka dots came from Tissu Fabrics- a bargain at around a fiver a metre. Would definitely buy from there again if that helps. Oh and Guthrie and Ghani also have some gorgeously weighty stuff at £10 per metre (I have the gold, awaiting cutting for Coco#2, and it is divine).

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the great blogs; I assure you that I really enjoyed a lot in readingamazon.com/gp/product/B00GR0ESK0

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have just motivated me to order this pattern, where did you get the gorgeous dotty blue fabric? I love it lots x

    ReplyDelete