09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Sunday 1 December 2013

Thank you

Yesterday's Crafty Bring and Buy was a great success. And a lot of fun.

Here's a few pictures we took early on in the sale.

beautiful tree decorations
100 pretty cakes donated by lovely Saffron of Fancy cake shop in Bedford
three gorgeous parcels like this, from the author herself
perhaps there is hope for my garden next year, as I snapped one up for myself
an example of some of the awesome sewing that had gone on
made by Pamela
and the most fabulous looking nails I have seen in a long time!
The idea had started from a tea time conversation with my girls. I had been telling them about the desperate times being faced by the people of the Philippines as a result of the typhoon there. Seeing their faces as they started to grasp what was happening and what it meant for children like them, I wanted to show them it was possible for them to help change things for people the other side of the world to them.

Having seen an example of the kind of emergency shelters and provisions charities were putting together to help the people of the Philippines made homeless by the typhoon, the girls started to understand how their money could actually help. They liked the fact that charities were even thinking about details such a including little packs of colouring materials for children. That said, they admitted they didn't really fancy living in a tent.

And, I will admit that, more than once over the last few weeks when one or more of them has complained about the food I have put in front of them, I have gently (or sometimes not so gently) reminded them about the children in the Philippines. (Oh dear. I really am now a parent and no longer young myself. But I am positive I am not the only parent in the land to get exasperated by the repeated rudeness and lack of appreciation of their young food critics.)

Back to the sale.

Yesterday was a breeze to organise because tons of people came forward when I floated the idea, and I feel proud of my home town. It was a reminder that human beings on the whole are kind and compassionate.

So, tonight's tea time conversation with my little girls will go something like this.

We raised more than enough (£735) for one of the tents and other basic survival equipment to help a couple of families trying to survive after their homes had been swept away by the enormous storm. It isn't enough to help everyone, but there will be lots of other people all over the world also trying to do things to help. People in general are kind and want to help each other. And, when you get an idea about how you want to do something you think will help other people, go for it. You can make a difference.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. (Margaret Mead)

1 comment:

  1. What a very heart-warming thing altogether and congratulations to your local community for the splendid effort. (PS: When I was a kid it was the starving kids in Biafra. But that seemed a lot further away because we were just hearing about it. Now, it's much more immediate because of visual media.)

    ReplyDelete