09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Monday 10 October 2011

Fairground dress

Here's my first make for Kids' Clothes Week Challenge:

Fairground dress for Sophie

After a lot of deliberating about what to make out of this fabric (including an evening spent unsuccessfully convincing my friend that a grown up could pull off a skirt out of this) I settled on a dress for my five year old daughter.

Fairground fabric available from FabricRehab
And I have to admit, just as she was right talking me into making this skirt, my friend Sang was equally right talking me out of making myself a purple fairground skirt. This fun fabric was always really destined to be enjoyed by a child.

I'm pleased with the finished dress. I've used the pattern before, but this was the first time I'd tried adding a lining, and I'm definitely going to be doing that on the next few winter dresses. Love the swishy swishy movement it gives.

Out of necessity (I only had half a metre of the main fabric to work with), I used a solid purple cotton for the yolk and trim at the bottom of the dress. And, after a quick rummage through my scrap box, found some mustard coloured linen that was a perfect match to the main fabric, and so decided upon some self-covered buttons and trim for a pocket. Hurray for scraps!


And Mum, if you're reading this (which I know you will be), when you come to inspect the quality of what I've made (which you will), be sure to have a good look at the oh so beautifully finished seams on the inside. Have finally braved the overlocker without you being on hand to help.

Next stop? Purple leggings and long sleeved t-shirt. Ideally to be worn with the dress - but, well, you never quite know how accurate I'll be with my new overlocker, and, having three little girls gives me options in terms of making the best out of sizing errors... he he he.

5 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!! Now I am WAY too impatient for the next class to start!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is quite possibly the luckiest little girl alive, that is so beautiful it bought a tear to my eye! you are truly awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. What is the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you could have pulled off the skirt! ;o) I love it! I've got this pattern and was thinking pincord but this is sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee... thanks for the nice comments, ladies. The pattern is New Look 6016 - well worth considering buying as it has a little bag, t shirt and leggings in it, too.

    ReplyDelete