09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Mr and Mrs Wonky


Meet Mr and Mrs Wonky!

I made them on Sunday afternoon. Get me, eh - TWO elephants in one sitting - am definitely speeding up, and that's without even utilising the potential three young helpers I have to hand. (Believe me, their tiny hands could come in handy for getting into all the nooks and crannies of stuffing an elephant toy).

The colour is a bit reminiscent of the middle girl's original request for Father Christmas to bring `a purple elephant'. The corduroy used is actually from a metre I bought destined for a Kelly skirt for a friend, but I am pretty confident (I hope) I have left plenty for the skirt. The houndstooth fabric started life as pure wool skirt from Laura Ashley - which I bought for £3 last week at the Emmaus Village. It is really soft, and when I saw it, my mind turned to Wilma.

I love the way this pair look together.


And then, this morning, having wrapped them up with brown paper and string (love you, Julie Andrews), and with a tear in my eye, I bid them both farewell. Where have they gone? Can't say yet - although I am hoping to have some news on them next week. Then again, this could be the last we'll ever see of them. Who knows. All very mysterious...

Anyhow, moving on. After an initial flurry of patterns being bought and money donated to GOSH, things have now slowed down somewhat remarkably on the Wilma front.  The total is currently £293, which is a long way off a grand, and Christmas is fast approaching. Having twisted the arms of pretty much most of my sewing friends and acquaintances into jumping on board (thank you everyone), now is the time to try and take Wilma further afield, in a bid to reach the magical £1000 mark in time for Christmas.

I've just been delving into the statistics bit on my blog - and, am fascinated by the fact it tells me that in the last week, I've been lucky enough to have readers from as far afield as the US, Canada, France, Germany, Sweden, Malaysia, Serbia, Russia and Australia to name a few. Wow! I have no idea how you stumbled across this little blog, but a big `hello' and thank you for reading this. I would love to hear from some of you!

So, here in this little tiny space of the internet, I have decided that next week is Wonky Wilma Week. Or, WWW for short. (Yes! That is what all those `www' everywhere mean. Honest.)

What will this involve? Er, not entirely sure of all the details just yet - although there will be a `Where's Wilma?' gallery, which will (hopefully) be featuring loads of pictures of different Wilma elephants out on parade.

So, if you've already made your Wilma, I'd love to see a picture or two of her on her travels. We're not talking in the house, next to the sewing machine shots (although that is better than nothing, if you are a little bashful about being seen in public, photographing a toy elephant) - the bolder, the better. I want to see some great landmarks and crazy places, please! And, even better if you can manage it, with some accessories, too.

What are you waiting for? The possibilities for elephant fun are endless...

Guilty secret of the day:
I bought a takeaway slice of Bakewell Tart from Fancy. I waited for the littlest girl to have her afternoon sleep, and ate it all from the warmth of my own bed. (And I haven't even been to the gym yet this week.)

1 comment:

  1. My Wilma is made and photographed here in Perth, Australia. A couple of generic pictures, though I have a good idea for one more if I can make myself take pictures of a yellow elephant toy in a busy cafe strip!
    Making of is up now, reveal is tomorrow ;)
    But there are a couple of pics in the flikr pool.

    Hope WWW is coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete