09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Wombles

Remember you're a Womble
Do you remember The Wombles? If you do, I hope reading this will send you on a nice little nostalgia trip, and leave you humming tunes from your childhood TV programmes.

I was up in the loft the other day, and, as I sorted out some bags of old stuff (which, by the way, I am convinced breeds whilst out of sight up there), was this ill-fitting skirt, circa 2000, which I have no intention of ever wearing again.

Making good use of the things that we find
And then, I had my Great Uncle Bulgaria moment, as I had an idea of what this skirt could be transformed into. Various Wombles songs from the seventies (my older brother had some of the singles, so they featured a lot in my early childhood) flooded into my head. And, instead of throwing the skirt into the bag destined for the charity shop, I scuttled back downstairs and got my sewing box out. (Easily distracted from a boring job? Er, yes.) 

I have nothing finished to show off yet. But the scissors have well and truly been taken to the skirt, and, whilst the outcome may not end up looking as funky as it currently does in my head, I think Great Uncle Bulgaria, Orinoco and the other Wombles would smile. At the very least, I will have fun showing the girls some clips of TV from my childhood. Hooray for the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment