09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Monday, 12 September 2016

Apples for the Teacher - #Ginghamalong Granville


Hello..? Is anyone still reading this blog? The author hasn't bothered writing it in ages, that's for sure. It's been a while, hasn't it?! Life has moved on, I guess.

One way this has happened is that I have returned to the classroom. I can't begin to tell you how excited, proud (and blooming nervous) I am about teaching GCSE students for the first time in a decade.


A new job calls for new clothes - that means a perfect reason to sew. So, this weekend included some lesson planning, a long run, a huge roast, and, a pleasing bit of sewing pour moi while my girls got on with stuff (for that, read making a complete mess of the house - but when they are happily playing without fighting, I'm not complaining). 

This is my fifth Granville shirt. My choice of gingham was a shameful bit of bandwagon jumping on my part - I spotted Karen's Ginghamalong, and remembered I wanted to make a new shirt for work. 

My favourite thing about sewing is that you can customise your clothes to suit your own style, and something that's unique. If you spot some apple buttons you like, you can have them on your shirt. If you like the colours green and pink together, you can make something that reflects that. If you are a bit on the short side, you can adjust your shirt to be a couple of inches shorter, and so on. 


I enjoy making all the details in this pattern - the plackets and the collar are fun to get your head round. This time, I had the added challenge of seeing if it was possible to make the shirt out of a mere 1.5 metres of fabric, and still put a few details on the bias to show off the contrast of the gingham. Hurrah to cheating the back of the pattern envelope guidelines on how much to buy, I say - it means no sizeable scraps leftover for me to feel obliged to stash in case one day someone decides a teddy bear needs mint green pyjamas.


This shirt was made whilst listening to Helen's trial and tending to a Sunday roast. For me, it'll have associations with radio history, and, the start of a new chapter in my life. Did you listen yesterday?

13 comments:

  1. Oooh I blooming love it Janet! fab! And so exciting about you returning to the classroom. Can't wait to hear all about it. Cake date soon? Actually I'm sugar free for all of sept so maybe early oct! ;-) 30th celebrations are calling! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant returning to the classroom shirt! Ha, maybe on e day I shall do the same and then I am definitely making something with apple buttons... Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so pretty! Just love that combination of colours. Yay to the ginghamalong. Good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shirt and I hope all is going well in the classroom :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the new job. The shirt is great and so expertly made.
    I listened to the archers on iplayer after I had read the verdict. I couldnt have listened if the alternative decision had been made.
    Great that your blog is up and about again after the summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. Good luck with your renewed teasing career.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the color combo, and the detail on the sleeve placket is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shirt! Radio Four is the best sewing companion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely fabric choice and finished shirt. I love your apple buttons and you've made a beautiful job of sewing your shirt. It looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still reading! Enjoy the job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous shirt, love the colour. Is very jealous of your return to work. This year my baby starts school and I am doing volunteer work to try and boost my self-esteem. I was a teacher before children to. How did you get back into it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty shirt! I love the pink detailing.

    ReplyDelete