09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Monday, 23 May 2016

Painting the Roses Red Dress


Why, hello again. I've been having a run of dress making lately. I think the change in weather has bought out the desire to have bare legs and toes and wear summer dresses. 

This is my latest make - almost made from start to finish during an evening babysitting for my friend Emily's children. Luckily, they all slept, and I sewed like the wind, stopping only to put the kettle on and eat some of the nice orange cake she had left for me (it is kind of the unwritten rule that you leave something yummy for the babysitter to eat, no?). I hand stitched the hem on Saturday morning, whilst my own girls were busy making things out of junk from the recycling bin. Happy days. 


I've worn this dress the last two days since making it. I love it! The colours are very me, and it feels so summery and happy to wear. I keep on looking down at the print and admiring it. It reminds me of painting the roses red in Alice in Wonderland.


This is my third Lilou dress from Love At First Stitch by Tilly Walnes. The nice thing about a third make is that I could jump straight in and sew, having already made a toile before. I went for the scalloped edge on the neckline - takes a bit more time and effort, but I like the finished look of it with this print.


The fabric is a John Kaldor cotton from Sew Essential - it has a slight stretch to it, which I really like on the dress. I just used half a metre of black satin to line the bodice - the skirt is unlined, and hangs nicely as it is. As it is wide on the roll, a couple of metres was plenty for the dress. More importantly, there is a sale on - the fabric I used is down to £6 a metre, along with a lot of other pretty prints that would make lovely summer dresses. I am planning to wear this dress for a wedding in the summer, and, I am now sorely tempted to buy a selection of other prints in the same range and make a pretty dress for each of my girls to wear for the special occasion and see how well they all scrub up. We'll have to keep the littlest away from all chocolate/ice cream/food in general, for that look to last, obviously. 


All that is left is to thank my photographer. This time, it was my eldest daughter, Sophie. After hearing her little sister had been paid a fee of 50p of sweets from the shop in the Arcade, she had a sudden enthusiasm to volunteer this time round. The stupid pose with a mug of tea is becoming a thing.


Thanks to Lucy at Sew Essential for sending me this fabric to review - all opinions are my own.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress!!! I love it Janet, it's so you! And loving that the 'mug of tea in hand' shot in becoming your thing! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. Yes, tea is most definitely my thing. And pulling stupid faces comes naturally, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Such lovely dresses you have been making recently. The print is a perfect pairing with the pattern and such a great dress for a wedding! It would be great to see some mini versions of these dresses for your girls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. I might make a shirt or a blouse next, I think, and then ponder whether I feel like taking on the challenge of four little dresses! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! The lilou dress is my favourite pattern
    Frankie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frankie. It is a great pattern, isn't it? I can see myself making plenty more, because it shows off a fabric so nicely. :)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely summery dress! And I shall pay attention to the tea mug holding in future... hope the mug co-ordinates in some way with your makes

    ReplyDelete