09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Satchels!


I wanted to share a quick post about my latest course that came to an end tonight, because I am delighted about how good the finished satchels look.



This was a brand new course - I am super proud of the ladies for how they took on all the challenging bits throughout - there's a lot of seriously fiddly sewing to be done in putting a satchel together, and the finished versions you see before you represent many hours of work (heck, there was even homework on this course!).


There were highs and lows. Skewering through the points of the tabs when turning them out, and having to re-sew them wasn't a good start. Navigating round those little corners and curves so that the top stitching was even was tricky. So too was getting the gussets to match up nicely with the main body of the bag.


Knowing when to reach for the seam ripper and when to accept imperfections - to treat the creative process as an end in itself and to accept that improvement usually comes with each make.  For this reason, I tried to encourage the group to get together for their own sociable sewing - a kind of pact with each other to make more satchels, so they get the benefit of that second, easier, make.


We even added our own little extra bit to the bags. I do like a zippy pocket, for keeping all the little things safe, don't you?! It seemed like a worthwhile hour to spend on learning how to insert a zip, as this is something so useful to be able to do - even though it was the first time the ladies had done this kind of pocket, I think they were all pleasantly surprised by how relatively easy it was to do.


The freedom to add your own personal touches to a project is something I enjoy about sewing. It also produces one of my favourite bits about teaching other people how to sew - be it the pink zip on this pocket, or the contrasting gusset and tabs - it's fun watching makes evolve into beautiful things that are a fabulous reflection of the style of the person creating them.

Thank you, Alice, Jen, Charlene, Georgina and Collette for being my latest gang around the kitchen table, and I hope you enjoy some lovely `Yes, I made that!' moments as you carry your satchels over your shoulders.

10 comments:

  1. these are fabulous! all your ladies should give themselves a huge round of applause! btw where is the lovely floral sewing machine from?
    frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Liberty. Very pretty, but didn't quite cut the mustard for sewing through all the layers in a satchel!

      Delete
  2. These look brilliant! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I felt slightly sad to watch the satchels being carried out of the house! :)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant course, thank you :-) I've learnt loads of new skills and have already been asked to make another for a certain little lady. I've promised her an Easter holiday fabric shopping outing, so had better stock up on buckles xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed it and found the course useful. Ha! The sewing requests from daughters - if she is anything like mine, she will master the art of flattery to get what she wants from her sewing mum. You don't stand a chance! xx

      Delete
  4. Well done you too teacher! Well done ladies these are fantastic, keep going you can see anything now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Think there was almost a bit of swearing over the tabs and how fiddly they were, but we got there. Hope you're finding time to sew in amongst family life. x:)

      Delete
  5. Hi Janet,
    I was wondering if you give private lessons? I am currently starting up my own childrenswear line of wax jackets after being on maternity leave. I have studied fashion at university but have never been taught to sew. I'd like to refresh my memory and become a nearer and more professional seamstress and need a bit of help getting there. Is this something you could offer?
    Thanks. Charlotte Walker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wax jackets sound good! I don't offer private lessons at the moment - largely because of time constraints that come with family life. If you email me at kitchentablesewing@gmail.com I can answer in more detail. Thanks!

      Delete