09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Thursday, 17 March 2016

How I stay sane


On Monday, my husband, Mark, got the call - this is headteacher speak for the lunchtime Ofsted call, to tell you that your school is being inspected the following day.

It has been an intense couple of days!

Today, with The Big O safely out of the way, I could get back to my early morning run routine. The first few miles were just about me shedding the stress of all the wondering and waiting about Ofsted. And then, my mind shifted to the marathon I'm training for, and talking myself out of the self-doubts I have about whether I'll be able to go the distance. I distracted myself by turning my thoughts to my race day outfit. I've done a couple of marathons in the past, but that was before - more or less before children (three more have been born since I did London in 2007) and sewing. 

I wore these toucan tights this morning. I made them last year, and I do smile when I wear them because they are so ridiculously colourful. I used the Fehr Trade Duathlon Shorts pattern, and the fabric was from here, if you're interested in making some of your own. The pattern was easier to make than I expected, and the fabric is nice for running in. I really like wearing these tights, but I haven't made more of my own kit - mainly because I am not that bothered about what I look like when I run, and the existing stuff I have been running in for years is still doing fine.

But. A marathon. Well, perhaps this is an occasion that warrants a new and special piece of kit?! The joy of sewing is that you can make whatever comes into your head - no boring black tights for me on race day!

I'll be running in a green coloured charity vest, so my new tights will need to co-ordinate, and the idea currently in my head is one that will guarantee my legs stand out as I join the crowds in Edinburgh on race day. I am thinking I'll be a vision of a super hero runner in my go faster tights - the reality of what I will actually look like as I limp round at about 20 miles onwards will be different!

I am going to hold off carrying out my plans for kit until after the weekend, when hopefully I will manage to run 15 miles without my right knee hurting me. A Mars bar and a bottle of water will help, as will my mummy mates who run with me each week. Hurrah for regular runs, and mates to run with - it keeps me sane, that's for sure.

I'll let you know how I get on. And I promise, if I make those tights, I will post a picture for your own amusement, regardless of how I look when I put them on.

8 comments:

  1. Well done you for the marathon and the legs. I have only done 1 so far and it's so hard getting the mileage in. Clothes do make a difference so I am looking forward to seeing your new legs K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Struggling to much past double figures without my knee hurting at the moment, so back for another sports massage on Monday. Waaaah!

      Delete
  2. Hope Ofsted went well. Running is so far out of my comfort zone, I am just useless at it! Good for you having an outlet and people to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all went well, thanks, Louise. Just flipping stressful process... But hurray! It is Friday now. And yes, mates to spur you on are a must.

      Delete
  3. Oh, so much good luck! For Ofsted, marathon preparations... looking forward to seeing your marathon running kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs R! Hurrah for Ofsted being done now. And I will need a lot of luck to drag myself round the marathon. Going to focus on the kit for now. ;)

      Delete
  4. It's interesting what you learn by reading a sewing blog. First, I never heard of Ofsted. Second, I wasn't sure what you meant when you used the word "kit". And finally, I discovered that you can get a Mars bar in the UK. I haven't seen any in the US for a long time, and I wondered if they were even made anymore. I'll have to get one if I travel to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - Ofsted is the school inspectorate. A necessary evil, maybe, but an evil nonetheless, and we are glad the stress is behind us now. I have found a Mars is just the thing to give me a good energy boost when I go over ten miles and start to feel flaky. They have been around here ever since I can remember - along with Twix and Snickers (once called Marathon!). Mmmmm... chocolate.

      Delete