09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Saturday, 12 March 2016

Delphine Skirt Course


The weather gods have listened to my moans - it is a lovely day here in Bedford. Perfect timing, as today I have something to get us all in the mood for baring our legs - a classic A-line skirt.

I made a couple of these last year, using nice bold patterned cottons, and lined them with some sheeting, to keep the nice structure of the skirt. This time round, I thought I'd opt for a plain version, in a colour that could become a wardrobe staple and go nicely with lots of different tops. I bought this denim from a shop on Goldhawk Road, where I only paid a fiver, due to there being a little mark at one end of the metre piece. I fancied customising the design a little with the addition of some piping, and I like the pop of contrast it gives the skirt.


If you have done a bit of sewing, but have never tried making any clothes, this Tilly and the Buttons skirt is a good place to start. There are no complicated fitting issues with a skirt like this, and the simple design is versatile and flattering to wear. A lot of newbie sewists are a bit daunted by the thought of zips - they aren't as difficult as you might think. When we cover zips in my classes, we have a few practises with scrap fabric, so that everyone feels nice and relaxed and confident before having a go on the real thing they are making. A steady supply of tea and cake, helps, too.

The Delphine Skirt Course starts on Thursday 30th June, and you can book a place here. 

The LOVE AT FIRST STITCH book that the pattern comes from is currently only £10.78 from Amazon - worth knowing, if you are after a book that has a nice selection of patterns that are wardrobe staples.

If you'd like to join in the #KnickerDrawer competition (and you can enter more than once), simply click on one of the social media icons at the bottom of this and share the link, and then let me know you've done it.


I'm off to make and eat a chicken pie now. I'll be back tomorrow with my final new course make. In the meantime, have a happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment