09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Sunday, 28 February 2016

Origami Butterfly for Mother's Day


Hello readers. It's been a nice chilled weekend here.

Friday evening was spent teaching a Liberty knicker making workshop over cake and fizz. I cheekily enjoyed the last glass of prosecco left in the bottle and made myself a pair after everyone had gone home. I am getting quite a pile of hand made undies in my drawer now, and, like the others before it, I think this latest pair will not fail to make me smile as I get dressed.

It is impossible to be glum when you've got tigers on your bum!
I like the Scotty's Tiger print so much that I have added it to the range of choices available for my next workshop on Friday 18th March.

Today has just been polished off with steak dinner instead of the usual Sunday roast - my normally fussy seven year old likes nothing more than a rare steak smothered in Stilton sauce, and so this was a treat for her. The dining experience is enhanced for her due to her knowledge of the fact the smell of Stilton drives her big sister nuts. Still, it was a pleasant change to have a mealtime in which she didn't drag her heels over every mouthful of her `slop' (as she described the sausage casserole I served up yesterday). Her youngest sibling stepped up to the role of Chief Complainer, and very vocal she was too. I tell you, if I ever crack the secret formula for consistently peaceful family mealtimes, and put it in a book, I will be a millionaire. I'll let you know first, obviously. Outnumbered. That is all.


Anyhow. Here is something I got the inspiration to put together whilst in IKEA earlier on today. I bought the box frame, and used a bit of double sided tape to stick this origami butterfly in it. I thought it might be a nice Mother's Day gift idea - or, just a nice picture for a friend, or to pop up on your own wall, of course. Liberty lovers will have spotted this particular butterfly is made out of last year's Alice in Wonderland collection. I did a knicker workshop based around it, and, of course, kept all the little funny shaped scraps I had leftover at the end. The other floral fabric is just a little scrap of vintage loveliness I had left from the time my sewing friend Caroline gave me some bits.


Last year, when going through a phase of making them, I put together a picture tutorial on how to make the butterflies. 

Hope you have fun making some of your own - let me know if you do!

9 comments:

  1. Such a lovely idea and they look so professional in a box frame! Glad the scarps of fabric are still being useful! Let me know when you next make it to London it would be great to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will! Have a great week. xx

      Delete
  2. This is so sweet. Love it. Impressed that your seven year old eats rare steak! Tres sophisticated! I am going to boast not but my three are not fussy eaters!!!! But before you kill me they are terrible, and I mean terrible at bed-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - she is full of surprises, the love of rare steak and stinky cheeses being just one. I do feel like whole years of my life are passing by, watching her eat slooooowly. But, bed-time is generally okay. Swings and roundabouts! Hope yours improve at bed-time soon... x

      Delete
  3. Lovely idea... and have a nice week with tigers on your bum. How could you not?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - indeed! I feel a bit of a campaign coming on, to the tune of people would be happier if they had fun things on their bums. ;)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous - and such a beautiful gift x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It has been posted off to mum and she liked it. Should take the effort to frame some of the other ones I made and have them up around my own house, as I really like them, too... Hope you're well. x

      Delete
  5. This is now pride of place on my mantelpiece, thanks to my talentedr daughter it was a lovely Mothers Day gift.

    ReplyDelete