09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Monday, 5 October 2015

A beginner friendly sewing idea


Realising that just because you sew, you don't have to sew all the things all of the time, is a refreshingly sane mindset to adopt. I think this is particularly true when it comes to making presents for your children to take to the numerous birthday parties they get invited to once they start school.

Still, there are times when I really do want to make an exception to my go to present of a book or a book token, and get the sewing machine out. 

My eldest daughter's Bestie (her words), Freya, turned ten last week. Since the start of term, with their change of school, the two friends have been doing the thirty minute walk together, and this has both given me a lot of peace of mind, and, them the freedom to "talk about things we don't get to talk about when the grown ups are around", to quote my daughter. This made me laugh!

I knew I wanted to make Freya something personal, but didn't know what she'd like. A camp blanket for Brownies (the girls go there together) was her request - I quizzed her on what she wanted it to look like, and this is the end result.

I think that sewing a couple of big squares of fleece together, and adding a big letter to personalise the gift, counts as a super simple present idea, no?

It didn't take long to make at all - just a metre each of two different fleeces, sewn right sides together and then turned out through a little gap, and then top stitched. The thing that makes it special is the initial - which I glued on with Bondaweb, before top stitching it down. 

Working on the kitchen floor
Once I had made the blanket, I got the idea to use the little scraps (left from cutting out the F from the corner of the metre of fabric) to make a holder. Same method as the blanket, with a couple of buttonholes added.


And then, I got another idea to make a miniature sleeping bag and matching dress for Freya's toy mouse. 


She loved the presents. 

`Hello, Miss Mouse!'
And, so did my own big girl (and her sisters), so it looks like we'll be sitting down together to make mouse sleeping bags on the next rainy and dull weekend.


As for the blanket, I will probably make one like it again - either for another child who wants a camp blanket with their initial on, or, perhaps as a gift for a new baby. The personal touch is nice, and, babies are always being sick, so, from a practical point of view, a spare blanket is a handy thing to have.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award!! I love your blog and hope this way others will see it too! You can find out more here :-) https://sarahkatemakes.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/and-the-award-goes-to/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It's lovely to hear that you like reading the blog. 😊

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I bet she loves it!
    I loved my camp blanket as a brownie / guide / venture scout and sewed a lot of my badges on. It met it's demise with some rather hungry moths one year and I had to chuck it - saved the badges though.... maybe for a future re-incarnation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, how annoying about the moths! Good to hear you kept your badges, though. Although, I swear the kids today get given them.a lot more easily than in our day...! ;)

      Delete
  3. Love the camp blanket, it is always chilly at night in a tent. Great idea, but the mouse bag! Love it so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. Yeah, I must admit, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself for thinking of the mouse sleeping bag as I was about to chuck the little scraps in the bin.

      Delete
  4. A lovely idea for a handmade present! What a lucky duck your little one's bestie is...

    ReplyDelete