Hello, campers. This week, the youngest two girls graduated up to bunk beds, like the ones their big sisters have. This has been quite an exciting event in their lives, and, the enormous boxes it all came in has provided them all with some fun, too. The latest thing the boxes have become is a rocket - after half an hour or so of effort from me with some Duck tape and a stanley knife, we had ourselves a tall and rather wonky rocket to play in. This has both made me popular (hurrah!), and, has bought me some peace and quiet, as there is now a lot of cardboard for them to liberally go on decorating as they wish now that the youngest one is in her bed having a nap. Hurrah to the sunshine being out, and all this activity going on in the garden.
Talk of my frustrated ambitions to be a Blue Peter presenter aside... you guys - I made my first pair of trousers!
Bring on the daft and awkwardly posed pictures of me wearing them..!
You might think these trousers look a bit familiar - I was inspired to make a pair whilst watching Lorna make her version on the first episode of this year's Sewing Bee. Sew Over It were cannily selling the pattern at 20% off, and a week later, I spotted that Beales had the very same fabric on at half price, and so, my trouser making fate was sealed.
I watched that episode of GBSB with my pal Christina, and we hatched a plan there and then to have our own sew off, and see if we could make our trousers in the same 3 hour time limit.
Our sewing night was a lot of fun - and, even with Christina blatantly trying to scupper my chances of finishing by hogging the iron (!), we both did it in the time, and were gleefully plastering selfies of ourselves posing in our makes all over social media before parting company.
I like this pattern a lot. I made a slight adjustment to the sizing based on my measurements, starting with a size 10 at the waist and going down to a size 8 from the hips. It worked, and I am happy with the fit.
It did feel a bit on the snug side on first wearing, but the cotton has stretched a little bit with wear, and so this worked out fine. I'm pleased to report that after a lot of bending down (repeatedly picking things up that Charlotte drops) and running around at the park, there have been no embarrassing trouser falling apart moments. Phew.
I'll definitely be making more Ultimate Trousers before too long. The instructions were simple and easy to follow. I liked finishing all the raw edges on my over locker, and I am pretty pleased with the finish. The only slight snag is that the waist facing keeps on rising up out of place - I will secure it down at the side seams (when I get round to it...).
I'm wearing my trousers with a new Coco top - I made a couple of these in an evening, using some super soft and lovely Roma Ponte I bought in a dreadful Instragram inspired impulse buying session from Sew Over It.
Grr. Those clever sewing shop owners, posting pictures of products to tempt weak willed people like me. At the same time, I also treated myself to the Tea Dress pattern, along with some pretty floral fabric to make it with, and, a couple of metres of light weight ivory jersey for making some staple tops for summer.
Spring is definitely in the air - and with it the motivation to make lots of lovely colourful clothes to enjoy wearing. Hurrah!
Happy making, everyone.