09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Thursday, 3 July 2014

Rocking her romper (with her chunky little legs)


It's been a few months since I made Charlotte's first romper

She's been a busy girl in that time. With just a week to go until her birthday, she has out done her three big sisters on the teeth front for her age (she has 6, and yes, they are sharp!); she can shuffle herself across the room to get to her sisters' toys; she has quite a character of her own, with a variety of ways of getting a laugh from her sisters (the attention seeking cough followed by a big grin being her favourite method); but, is still bald as can be.

Making a beeline for her sisters' toys, including the original Wonky Wilma
As already discussed, the experience of trying to put poppers into jersey left me so annoyed that it has taken me this long to summon up the motivation to make any more.

The thing that motivated me most to make more rompers (apart from Charlotte bursting out of the old one) was knowing that I had some AWESOME fabric lined up ready to make them with. This is the first of three pieces of super cool and crazy prints I have from KitschyCoo - it would be a crime to sewing if I wasted the opportunity to make rompers out of them. 


 I get lots of people asking me about where to buy jersey fabric from. I have to be honest, and say it can be a lottery, especially if you are buying online.

I first discovered KitschyCoo two years ago. I immediately fell in love with the smile inducing designs I saw on Amanda's site. KitschyCoo doesn't stop at fabrics, either - Amanda has designed several patterns to tempt you into the world of making things with jersey (the Skater Dress is one such pattern I have bought and plan to make soon).

I don't know what Amanda's own personal philosophy on children's clothing is, but, judging by the unique business she has created, I suspect that comfort and fun feature as highly for her as they do for me when I am thinking about what I want to make for my little ones to wear on a daily basis.

The price of the prints may seem a bit steep if you are new to the site and comparing it to, say, plain interlocks you can buy elsewhere for a lot less. But, I have found to my own cost at times, that when buying jersey, this is a case of `you get what you pay for'. My clothes go through the washing machine a lot of times, and the same is even more true of the clothes worn by my girls. Items like this Nellie the Elephant Tee are still going strong two years after they were made. The only problem I have with the prints is the girls tend to like them a bit too much - the Middle Girl still insists that Nellie still fits her and won't really be persuaded to hand it on until she has a replacement she likes just a much.


Anyhow, back to this make. I made it using the `R' is for Romper pattern from Sewing for Boys. I just about squeezed the 9-12 months size out of half a metre. There is enough fabric left over to consider making a Flashback Skinny Tee with a funky Bambi front to it. But, readers, we all know the arguments that would cause...

The making came together a lot more smoothly this time. If you ignore the dodgy neckline, that is. I tried simplifying the pattern by leaving out the front neck poppers, and just have it pull over Charlotte's head. I need to modify it on the next romper, as the neck is a bit too big on this version. Still, having unpicked it once, I am not going to bother again. This is good enough, considering Charlotte will outgrow this by the end of the summer, and, let's be honest, will spill all sorts of food over it, in the process.

The Popper Problem seems to have been resolved by adding a strip of selvage edge cut form some quilting cotton inside the orange ribbing you see. That, and creating a tiny pin prick hole through all layers of fabric before attempting to pierce through and apply the poppers with the pliers. The popper process only took me about fifteen minutes this time, and, as yet, none of them have ripped through the jersey. Fingers crossed.


So, her she is. My gorgeous little baby girl, who brings bucket loads of joy to her proud parents and sisters on a daily basis. I can't believe she will be a year old next week!

7 comments:

  1. Emma Johnstone3 July 2014 at 05:27

    Simply gorgeous :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful- both girl and romper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I love this style of print but its so hard to find here! Might have to add it to my list of treats for the Little Mans half birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful! Might make some for my 7 month old twins, Love your blog for the great kids sewing ideas. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Such a cute fabric and little babe too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet, I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award (although I wasn’t really sure if you may already have a nomination). I have really enjoyed reading your blog since our meet-up at the V&A!
    Read my reasons for nominating you on my blog: http://carolinejoynson.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete