09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Dance With Me Dress BLOG HOP


Hello again. I'm back with another one of Lisa Lam's new children's dress making patterns. This time, I've chosen to make the dress - and it's the youngest member of the family who is on the receiving end of a Mummy Make. Well, with only a couple of days to go until her first birthday, I thought the girl deserved a special dress for the occasion. 


The patterns are meant to be for girls aged 2-6 years old, so I shortened the skirt a bit and was an extra half a centimetre generous with all seam allowances. The adjustment has worked, and the dress fits. In fact, as I have turned the skirt up a fair bit, I might even get lucky and put her in it next year - perhaps with a ruffle at the bottom of the skirt to add even more length if need be. We'll see.


Anyhow, back to the make. I enjoyed making this. It was the first time I had made a placket, and I had fun learning how to do this.

I added in the bias binding trim between the bodice and the skirt, and I am pleased with the effect, as I think this detail breaks up the print quite nicely.


I like the fact the bodice is fully lined - I think it makes the inside of the dress look as neat as the outside. And, as I hope this is a dress that will be kept, and pulled out of a box for Charlotte to look at in years to come, I took the trouble to hand stitch the bodice lining to the skirt, to make it look extra neat.


As I was cutting out the dress, I had a flash of inspiration. The thing that could make this outfit even cuter, I thought, would be matching frilly knickers to go over the top of her nappy.


Readers, if ever there was a frivolous sewing project guaranteed to bring a smile to my face, this was going to be it. Oh. My. Goodness. Cuteness overload. Charlotte is at a time of life when chunky thighs are a thing to be celebrated and admired by one and all. Putting them into these knickers just adds to their beauty and general `Oh, those legs have just got to be squeezed' appeal.


She'd like you to know that it is not easy being the youngest in a family of four girls.


After the rush of helping Mummy get everyone out of the house and to school on time, there is still a lot to be done. Towers to be knocked down.


Cups of tea to be made.


Music to be made.


People to call.


Rolling over to model Mummy's latest make (even though she can see I am busy).


It really is non stop. And then, when the big girls get home again, well, they just want entertaining, and it's all smiles and tickles to cheer them up after a busy day at school.


What does a girl have to do to get a quiet moment to herself?


There is still a teeny bit of time to enter the pattern give away. If you're really keen, you can enter twice - once with a comment here, and also leave a comment on the Happiness Halter post. Both patterns are ace. I'd recommend them. They are available to buy - but you have a decent chance of winning a copy of each by commenting here. The cut off is midnight tonight. I'll announce the winner in my next post, and the publisher will send the pattern directly out to the lucky person.

Oh, all right then. For a super easy bonus chance to enter a third time, Tweet me @kitchentablesew the answer to this question. What book by Roald Dahl do you think we've just finished reading? Clue, it inspired the littlest big girl to choose the fabric for both makes (which is Foxtrot by Michael Miller in case you're wanting some for yourself).

Good luck!

32 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - another gorgeous make Janet!! :o) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on winning the draw, Emma. I hope you enjoy making something with the patterns. I'd love to see a picture or two when you do. :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely, those knickers are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He, he - there is a lot of love out there for the knickers. Maybe frilly knickers will make a come back...

      Delete
  3. That outfit is soo cute! The dress looks great with those knickers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those knickers! they have me awing all over the place! I wonder if its acceptable to make myself a pair!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He, he - I am with you. Let's start a new trend!! ;)

      Delete
  5. The placement of the super-cute print on the front of your dress is brilliant. The frilly knickers in mustard was inspired! Such a brilliant make Janet. Well done on another gorgeous outfit for your littlest cutie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. I have caved and ordered more Foxtrot fabric, so that the older two girls (who missed out on these makes) can have a playsuit too. They are so indulged when it comes to sewing requests!

      Delete
  6. Oh that is ridiculously cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He, he! I think the pattern could definitely be used on boys. Just saying... ;)

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous dress... And model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am inclined to agree the model is lovely... totally besotted mummy!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I am pretty pleased with the knickers. A much cuter sight than a nappy... One of my older girls was trying to convince me to let her wear them, so she obviously thinks they are nice.

      Delete
  9. WOW, really cute dresses! The pattern is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can definitely recommend trying the pattern out.

      Delete
  10. beautiful again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely lovely, hadn't realised Lisa Lam had diversified from Handbags, off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was keen to check out her clothing patterns - the instructions and overall style are just what you'd expect from her.

      Delete
  12. I have a friend who has a 18 month old girl; this would be cute on her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think it is easy to adjust it down for a smaller age infant. I hope you have fun making it!

      Delete
  13. Tracey Bellingham10 July 2014 at 14:27

    That is gorgeous - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the fabric makes it. X

      Delete
  14. Beautiful fabric! Beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am a sucker for bunny rabbits and foxes.

      Delete
  15. My favourite thing about summer is those squish legs and little bare piggy toes hanging out of prams. Gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bare toes and squishy legs are amongst my favourite things, too. A delightful sight on any baby!

      Delete