09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Thursday, 13 March 2014

Sunshine Coco


Have you heard there is going to be a Coco party?


As I came towards the end of making my latest Coco last night, I boldly declared to my hubby that I thought it was my favourite thing I have ever made. 

And now, the morning after the night before, that statement holds true. This is now going to be known as my Sunshine Coco - on account of the fact the weather outside turned from foggy and cold to sunny and crisp within a couple of hours of me wearing it. A dress that has magical powers, I tell you.

I saw the fabric as a result of reading Lauren's post about her own Coco, and, upon noticing that Guthrie & Ghani had a discount on until midnight that day, I thought it would be rude not to snap some up for Coco #2. At £10 per metre, this dress was twice as pricey to make as the Polka Dot Coco, but readers, let me tell you, my impulse buy did not disappoint. The Ponte Roma Jersey fabric is gorgeously weighty and luxurious, and on a par with something I would expect to come through the post from Boden. And so, taking that into account, a price tag of around £25 to make this dress (once you include the jumbo ric rac) doesn't seem so extravagant.


As soon as I saw the colour of the fabric, I could immediately imagine the dress I would like to make out of it. A whole week went by - family life rolling on, a kitchen floor to be scrubbed (and a gazillion other equally inspiring household chores in the times whilst baby slept), a couple of evenings of sewing classes - before I had a slot of time to myself to make the dress I had been dreaming about.

The making process gave me a real buzz of excitement. If you ignore the fact I had to unpick and re do the funnel neck, this came together nice and easily. I know I said it last time, but the instructions and pattern are totally doable for a beginner. My poor husband came in from work half way through - we stopped and chatted, and then carried on chatting as I sat and sewed. I kept on holding bits up for him to see, and coo over. By the end of the evening, I was just gleeful about what I had made. He does a pretty good job of humouring me when I get like this.


The glee does not always happen, I might add. Often, when I make things, I hit an "Oh" stage about half way through, as I realise I am a bit disappointed with how the make is working out. Then comes the dilemma of what to do next - to unpick, to plod on, or throw it in a cupboard never to see the light of day again and have some chocolate instead. 

My favourite things about this make are the pockets and the trimming. I also like how comfortable it is to wear, and that no one else has a dress like it. 


After a couple of days at home with a `sick' child (who was not really that ill, but, having been slightly sick one night, now needed to stay off school for a couple of days), it was nice to head out into town this morning. Okay, not much massively exciting - an annoyingly time consuming visit to a phone shop to get to that bottom of why mine wasn't working (seriously, it has felt like the olden days without a mobile for the last 24 hours!). But I walked past my favourite sweet shop and sneaked inside. And what luck, for they were inviting customers to taste fudge and vote for their favourite. Well, it would have been rude not to come away with some, wouldn't it. Lemon Cheesecake Fudge - surprisingly yummy. And now to hide it somewhere so my children don't find it.


Whilst there, I shamelessly got a picture of me in my dress in that shop, so you can see for yourselves how lovely the shop is. What you see is about a third of the jars that line all walls of the shop. My girls love this place. We go there every weekend to get Saturday Sweets. This is a big deal in our house. The ultimate threat is that they lose out on their weekly sugar high, and it is miserable when we troop in and one of them has to miss out. Lately, I have taken to offering them the option to earn back their sweets by doing a spot of hoovering for me. Wrong or a stroke of genius?

Finally, I have a question to put to you. The middle girl came into our bedroom and spotted my dress on the chair this morning before I had even had chance to get out of bed. She instantly loved it and tried to convince me it would fit her. I haven't said this to her, but I am pretty sure there is enough fabric left over to make a mini version for her. Shall I indulge her with some Mummy-daughter matching magic in time for her birthday...?

Progress so far on the cunning plans and clever tricks...

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress, the colour is perfect and I love the giant ric rac trim. And, yes a dress for your daughter would be a lovely surprise for he! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooooove the ric rac trim. And yes, matching frocks are a go go. You know the Rowberrys will be doing it. All the cool kids are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is such a gorgeous dress! I especially love the ricrac, because it is the biggest I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete