09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Hello, Ginger!


Hello!  I took the girls down to my mum's at the weekend, so we could celebrate her birthday with her. We had a lovely day - made even nicer by the unexpected bonuses of seeing one of my nieces and my god mother whilst there, and, a cheeky dash out to buy some fabric just me and my mum.


I wanted to make another Ginger skirt. Having had a good sort out of my wardrobe a few weeks back, I was after something that would become an everyday favourite to go with clothes I already have. I picked up this lightweight denim for a bargain at £6.99 per metre, and had in mind a plan to do some red piping, so stocked up on cord for that, too. Then it was time to jump in the car and join the others before all the birthday cake was eaten up.

Can you guess what I'm making?
Sunday night turned out to be a very satisfying make session. I'm not sure what it is about making piping, but I find it really satisfying! I love the design on the high waistband on the Ginger skirt - I think it's flattering (even on someone like me, who has a waist three sizes bigger than her hips!) and the heart shape coupled with the piping seems to have had the desired effect of lifting a wardrobe basic into the `a bit special/unusual' category for me.


There is no denying that I am completely enjoying my new found love of making myself clothes right now. It feels like it's a grown up version of the cutting and sticking and colouring in making stuff based play my little girls adore so much. At the risk of sounding like Miranda's mum, it really is such fun.

Just to the left of me in the picture above, The Vegetable Patch of Glass has a bit less glass in it than this time last week. Three sackfuls less. There is still more to go, though. And two tonnes of top soil coming by the weekend, so there is a definite deadline to work towards now. (I need a deadline, don't you?)

But, as it's raining, and I am a fair weather gardener, I'm going crack on with some sewing whilst I have the rare treat of two sleeping little ones (and two big ones at school for another hour). My next makes are going to be some dresses for the girls. With each make for myself that has appeared over the last couple of weeks, they have been gently(ish) asking when I'm going to start making their camper van dresses. The fabric has been sitting on the side for a few weeks. If I thought I could get away with a Ginger skirt out of it, I would.


We're returning to Devon for our family holiday this year. It's back to grey drizzle outside now, so I'm going to picture them running around on the beach, eating ice creams and lollies (and probably spilling the last bit) as I make these.


Maybe just one more brownie first...

Love at First Stitch - out soon
Oh my! I have just spotted I have been chosen to receive a signed copy of this book. Wow. That has made my day. Thank you, Tilly! So unexpected, given all the fab versions of Coco flooding the internet... this definitely deserves a celebratory brownie, me thinks.

Made by David - one of my favourite Cocos
Thanks again Tilly for hosting the party - the gallery has given me loads of inspiration for future makes, and introduced me to some amazing new blogs to read. Bye for now!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations for the book Janet, well deserved :) Glad the party introduced me to your blog, can't wait to see your next creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise! Have just been enjoying reading your blog- brilliant work. I'd choose the By Hand London dress for your next make :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love the Ginger! Can't go wrong with piping. :) And you can never have too many celebratory brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your super duper Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the book, well deserved, your dog top is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your makes are great and I love the cute photos too! Congrats on winning the book x

    ReplyDelete